The Dignity of the
Barony of Hartsyde is registered in vol.2 of the Scottish Barony
Register of date 26 February 2010. The Arms were granted by the Lord
Lyon, King of Arms, with a baronial helm appropriate to the Dignity
of a Baron in the Baronage of Scotland.
The armiger is a Hospital Director, Graduate of the Institut
d’Etudes Politiques de Paris, and of the Ecole Nationale de la Santé
Publique. He has three children, Jean-Guillaume (b.1996), his heir
apparent, Enguerrand (b.1999) and Charlotte (b.2001).
The french Arms of the Baron of Hartsyde have also been recorded
through a Certification of Arms (25/2003) under the Hand and Seal of
the Marques de La Floresta, Cronista de Armas de Castilla y Leon of
date 25 November 2003 and a Registration of Arms (Certificate
N°3517) of the Bureau of Heraldry, Pretoria, South Africa, of date
04 April 2006.
The Scottish arms allude to the French Arms of the armiger’s family:
The shield is a synthesis reflecting the quartered Arms of the
armiger’s families of Philip and Boisserolles. The armiger’s family
is an ancient family of small rural Lords in the old Province of
Languedoc (South France) which goes back to the 14th century. The
first known forefather of the armiger is Guillaume de Boisserolles,
been born circa 1340 in the village of Boisserolles, in the Mas of
Boisserolles (lat. Mansus de Boyssayroliis), in the Gard
The direct family of the armiger left the Gard circa 1580 to became
established 60 km farther, in the Départment of Lozère (Languedoc).
His direct forefathers were lords of a small village, named
“Saint-Julien du Gourg”, next to Florac (Lozère-Languedoc). They
were Finance Officers of the Barony of Florac under the reign of
The crest, an eagle holding a sprig of Box, is also an heraldic
allusion to the family Boisserolles, whose name comes from the Latin
“Buxus” and means the box tree.
The Scottish roots of the Armiger are recorded through the branch of
his paternal family Philip.
The Philip ancestor was probably a Scottish soldier who went to the
Kingdom of France during the Hundred Years War. This branch of the
family settled in Languedoc and has for centuries been landowners.
The Barony of Hartsyde (also called Wandell) is an old Scottish
feudal Crown Barony (1345/1613) and is located in the in Upper
Clydesdale, near Biggar, Lanarkshire. Hartsyde may be so named from
Hertisheved, a name of Saxon origin, been deflected in modern
language into Hartsyde (Harts/Deers), which have formerly been
plentiful in the woods of the Barony; King James V pursued the sport
of deer-hunting in the once thickly-wooded hills of Hartsyde.
The name Wandell is thought to have derived from the British
Quendall or Gwendall, signifying "the White Meadow".
The succession of the barony has followed five families.
The HERTYSHED family:
The territory of Hartsyde was held in 1198, by William de
Hertisheved, in the reign of William I.
In 1225. In the reign of Alexander II, William de Hertisheved was
Sheriff of Lanark. His son,
Alan de Hertesheued live in 1240/1250 and Richard de Hertishevit
lived in the latter half of the 13th c.
The LOGAN family:
Walter Logan, Lord of Hartside, became Sheriff of Lanark in 1301 and
was granted the Estates of Hartside in Upper Clydesdale in year
1306. This family died out in the direct line in the first half of
the 14th c., as the Barony of Hertysheuid (Hartsyde) was in the ward
of the Crown around 1340.
The JARDINE (of Applegirth) family:
In 1345 William de Gardine obtained from King David II a Charter of
the lands and Barony of Hertishyde (Hartsyde) in Lanarkshire. In
1559, Mary, Queen of Scots, granted John Jardine of Applegirth,
Baron of Hartsyde, further lands within the Barony of Hartsyde or
The Jardens of Applegirth continued to hold the barony of Hartside,
otherwise called Wendal, till the 17th century.
The DOUGLAS family:
In 1613, King James VI granted in a Charter the lands and Barony of
Hartsyde, alias Wandell (County of Lanark), in favour of William
Douglas, Earl of Angus. This is the actual entitlement to the
Barony of Hartsyde. On the 16 September 1617 a new Barony, named
Wandell, was created.
The PHILIP BOISSEROLLES de St-JULIEN family:
The title and all rights of the Barony of Hartsyde are currently
held by The Much Honoured Jean-Guy PHILIP BOISSEROLLES de St-JULIEN,
Baron of Hartsyde